02 Dec Q&A WITH KTLA’S MEGAN HENDERSON
If you wake up early or stay up way too late, you can turn on Channel 5 in Los Angeles from 4am-7am Mon-Fri and get the lowdown on local news. Morning Anchor, Megan Henderson — the beautiful brunette with the gorgeous, thick hair – is always on point with her fashion. I’ve never seen a hair out of place or an outfit I didn’t like. But this girl is not just a pretty face… she’s smart, witty and quick with a comeback when her co-anchors dish it out. This is definitely a girl with style and substance.
Q&A WITH KTLA’S MEGAN HENDERSON
Q: What’s your on-air signature look? What are your favorite brands or places to shop?
Dresses make up most of my work wardrobe. While I always try to be work-appropriate, I do like a look with a bit of edge or unexpectedness. That can mean something different every day. Whether it’s pairing strappy gladiator pumps with a classic dress… or rocking a print that the guys don’t understand (they rarely understand haha!).. I always dress based on my mood that morning.
I buy 99% of my dresses online and on sale. I know online shopping scares many people but I think knowing what shapes and styles flatter your body type helps. For example I have a long waist so I can usually tell by the picture if a dress is going to cinch in the wrong spot on me and look unflattering. I also depend on Customer Reviews for tips on fit and sizing.
My favorite websites: Asos.com, DorothyPerkins.com, Nordstrom.com (sale section), gilt.com, and ShopPlanetBlue.com.
Q: What does your weekend wardrobe consist of and how is it different from when you’re on the clock?
I gravitate toward comfortable and easy looks on weekends. Since we put so much work into our hair and makeup during the week, I like to do the opposite when i’m off. The least effort, the better. During the day i’m usually in a flowy dress with ankle boots.. or jeans and high tops. At night i’m most comfortable in skinny jeans, a leather jacket and heels. I also wear the heck out of my Free People Clipperton fedora hats. I have them in different colors and they’re my go-to when I’m too lazy to deal with my hair.
Q: What are your top 5 products that you always keep in your makeup bag?
1) L’Oreal Colour Juice Sheer Lip Gloss: I wear this like it’s Chapstick and keep tubes everywhere. It was discontinued in stores so I buy them in bulk on Ebay.
2) B&B Cream: I like to wear B&B creams instead of foundation when I’m not at work. It gives moisturizing light coverage while keeping my skin protected from the sun. I switch between Aveeno’s Clear Complexion SPF 30 and Revision Intellishade SPF 45.
3) MAC’s Mahogany lip pencil: I’ve been wearing it for years both on the air and off. I’ve tried to branch out with other colors but always find myself coming back to this shade. It’s on the darker side so for daytime I usually blend it with lighter, more neutral lipsticks or glosses to brighten it up.
4) Senna Brow Stencil Kit: I use the darkest blonde shade of brow powder for definition (the lighter powder blends for a softer look) and the stencils during plucking emergencies. The fool proof stencils prevent me from making my plucking “accidents” worse until the hair grows back.
5) Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer: I have yet to find a miracle cure for my under eye circles, but this concealer definitely helps my cause. I love it because it’s hydrating, light, stays put and a little goes a long way. I use it for blemishes too.
Q: What advice can you give working women who are looking to incorporate some of their personal style into their working environment, without crossing the line and looking inappropriate?
Work attire can be tricky because different environments call for different ensembles, but I do think every woman can feel good about what she’s wearing while she works. I’m most confident when something fits me well and flatters my body. There are certain dresses I fall in love with but won’t buy because they accentuate a body part I’m not comfortable with or show too much.
I’m also a big believer in accessorizing without going overboard. One bold necklace, belt or fabulous pair of shoes can go a long way when it comes to making a statement or staying on trend. It’s one of the most budget-friendly ways to shop too. I love spicing up my simpler dresses and blouses with a great pair of earrings from inexpensive stores like Forever 21 or Etsy.