01 Jan Reflecting on the Past, Grateful for the Present, Looking Forward to the New Year!
As we say goodbye to 2016 and hello to 2017, I can honestly say last year was one of the most significant years of my life. It was filled with challenges, changes, and personal growth.
I learned to stop caring about what others think of me and learned to start caring about what I think about myself. I embraced being single after getting a divorce and made room in my life to meet the love of my life. I bought a condo, renovated it and moved in at the end of October. Now, every time I walk through the front door, I feel a sense of calm. The space has become a sanctuary of sorts… a place where I can shut out the world and recenter myself, away from the stresses of everyday life.
As my dad’s health continues to deteriorate due to the ravages of ALS, I realize how much he means to me and how thankful I am to have had him — and still have him — in my life. I also realize that my health and physicality are gifts that I can’t take for granted.
While last year was speckled with struggles and family drama, I discovered that you truly find your strength in the struggle and sometimes, you have to break so your light can shine through the cracks.
A few of my favorite quotes of the year were discovered while I was on a bike during a sweaty spin class at Soul Cycle. These have resonated with me and have become my mantras. I share them now in case they may resonate with you:
- “Take the jump, you’ll grow your wings on the way down” Pixie Acacia, Instructor
- “Take the limitations off your mind” Angela Davis, Instructor
- “It doesn’t matter what people call you, what matters is what you answer to” David Zint, Instructor
As we usher in the New Year, I’m happy to share my resolutions with you and I’m hoping I will stand by them for the next 365 days:
- Sleep 7-8 hours/night (one of last year’s resolutions)
- Continue to meditate(one of last year’s resolutions)
- Try to blog at least once a week
- Set a daily intention, ground myself and imagine there is an impenetrable shield of protection around me that negative people and situations can’t break
- Don’t give power to people who disempower you.
Let go of self-doubt and you can move mountains.
Happy New Year!
Lots of Love and Light,